So I’ve started using all this technology and thought I’d write down what’s going on.
I signed up for a hosting account with GoDaddy.com and that seems to be ok. It’s decent, and although many people advise using other hosting providers, I thought I’d check them out, as I’ve used them before. Maybe in a year from now I’ll change, but for now it seems that they provide the desired functionality.
I’m using WordPress
2.0.5 2.1 2.1.1 to run the blog, and it seems nice and straightforward so far.
Here’s a list of plugins I’m currently using:
- AdSense-Deluxe v0.8 – for Google Ads. I’ve tried to keep them simple.
- Akismet v
18.104.22.168 – a comments anti-spam plugin that comes along with WordPress
- Bad Behavior v2.0.10 – another anti-spammer protection plugin
- Brian’s Threaded Comments v
22.214.171.124.9 – Allowing a comment “thread”. I’m still tweaking it here and there to make it fit in, it’s looking better.
- Exec-PHP v
3.03.2 – Allowing me a little more versatility on changing the PHP code
- FireStats v1.1.5 – A nice statistics tracker, inside WP, and adds nice little country flags to commenters. Written by a nice Jewish boy 😉
- Google (XML) Sitemaps v
126.96.36.199b6 – for better Google indexing
- Google Anayltics v1.8 – for web traffic tracking and analysis
- Gravatars2 v2.6.2 – a global avatar system – anyone with an email address can get a global avatar, used wherever Gravatars are implemented
- HeadMeta v1.3 – tags pages with a better meta header for site searching and indexing by non-Google bots
- ImageManager v
188.8.131.52.1 – A better way to upload pictures and edit them on the fly
- LiveJournal Crossposter v
1.52.0 – Post here and automatically update my LJ. Wow!
- Optimal Title v1.0 – Something that switches the window title a bit to make it more readable
- PXS Mail Form v2.6 – This is the contact form over on my About page
SpotMilk v1.7.2 2.0 – a nicer theme for the admin (me) side. I prefer the black theme
- SRG Clean Archives v
2.02.1 – a little something that handles the Archives page
- Subscribe to Comments v
1.52.1 – get email responses when you are commented on
- WordPress DB Backup v
184.108.40.206 – a quick, easy backup program, supports automatic scheduled backups
- WordPress Mobile Edition v2.0 – uses Recent Posts code to display page very cleanly on mobile browsers
- WP Lightbox 2 v
0.50.8 – a plugin that uses JS to display pictures in a much nicer format
This list was updated on 2007-02-12.